The Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Main is one of the most competitive and prestigious exams for engineering aspirants in India. It is conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) twice a year, in January and April.
The JEE Main 2024 session 1 examination will be held from 24 Jan – 1 Feb, 2024. The exam consists of three papers: Paper 1 for B.E./B.Tech, Paper 2 for B.Arch, and Paper 3 for B.Planning.
The exam pattern and syllabus of JEE Main are based on the topics covered in class 11 and 12 Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.
Preparing for JEE Main is not an easy task, especially when you have to balance it with your board exams.
Board exams are equally important as they determine your eligibility and merit for admission to various colleges and universities.
Moreover, board exams are subjective, while JEE Main is objective. Therefore, you need to have a different approach and strategy for both exams.
In this article, we will provide you with some effective tips and tricks on how to prepare for JEE Main 2024 January exam in 3 weeks, while also managing your board exams. We will also share some success stories and preparation tips from JEE Main toppers, who have aced both exams with flying colours.
Tip 1: Know the Syllabus and Exam Pattern
The first and foremost step in your exam preparation is to know the syllabus and exam pattern of both JEE Main and board exams. This will help you understand what topics you need to focus on and how much time you should allocate to each subject.
You can refer to the official websites of NTA and CBSE for the latest updates and information on the syllabus and exam pattern.
JEE Main 2024 session 1 exam pattern is as follows:
|No. of Questions
|Type of Questions
|Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics
|75 (25 each)
|20 MCQs + 5 Numerical Value Questions (each subject)
|Mathematics, Aptitude Test, and Drawing Test
|20 MCQs + 5 Numerical Value Questions (Mathematics), 50 MCQs (Aptitude Test), and 2 Questions (Drawing Test)
|Mathematics, Aptitude Test, and Planning Based Questions
|20 MCQs + 5 Numerical Value Questions (Mathematics), 50 MCQs (Aptitude Test), and 25 MCQs (Planning Based Questions)
The marking scheme for JEE Main 2024 session 1 is as follows:
- For MCQs, +4 marks for each correct answer and -1 mark for each incorrect answer.
- For Numerical Value Questions, +4 marks for each correct answer and no negative marking for incorrect answers.
- For Drawing Test, the marks will be awarded based on the evaluation by a panel of examiners.
The syllabus of JEE Main 2024 session 1 covers the topics from class 11 and 12 Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics. The syllabus of Paper 2 and Paper 3 also includes topics from Aptitude Test, Drawing Test, and Planning Based Questions. You can download the detailed syllabus from the official website of NTA.
The board exam pattern and syllabus vary depending on the state and board you belong to. However, most of the boards follow the CBSE pattern and syllabus, which are based on the NCERT textbooks.
The board exams cover the syllabus till class 12, which is also relevant for JEE Main. Therefore, you should thoroughly study the NCERT textbooks and solve the NCERT exemplar problems for both exams.
Tip 2: Make a Study Schedule
The next step in your exam preparation is to make a study schedule that suits your needs and preferences. You should divide your time into blocks and allocate specific subjects and topics to each block.
You should also leave some time for revision and mock tests. A study schedule will help you stay organized and disciplined, and avoid procrastination and stress.
Here are some points to keep in mind while making a study schedule:
- Prioritize the subjects and topics based on your strengths and weaknesses. Focus more on the topics that are important for both exams, and less on the topics that are exclusive to either exam.
- Study for at least 6 to 8 hours a day, with breaks in between. Do not study for more than 2 hours at a stretch, as it will affect your concentration and retention.
- Study the theory and concepts from the NCERT textbooks and reference books, and practice the numerical and MCQs from the JEE Main preparation material and previous year papers.
- Revise the topics that you have studied regularly, and make notes and flashcards for quick revision.
- Solve mock tests and sample papers for both exams at least once a week, and analyze your performance and mistakes. This will help you improve your speed, accuracy, and time management skills.
- Follow a healthy and balanced diet, and drink plenty of water. Avoid junk food, caffeine, and alcohol, as they will hamper your health and productivity.
- Exercise regularly and get enough sleep. This will help you relax your mind and body, and boost your energy and mood.
Tip 3: Get the Basics Right
To score well in both exams, you need to have a strong foundation of the basic concepts and theories. Once you have a clear understanding of the basics, you can then move on to the advanced and application-based topics.
The basics will also help you solve the tricky and complex questions that may appear in the exams.
Here are some tips to get the basics right:
- Read the NCERT textbooks and reference books thoroughly, and do not skip any topic or concept. The NCERT textbooks are the best source for learning the basics, as they are simple and concise.
- Make a list of the important formulas, definitions, and concepts, and revise them regularly. You can also use mnemonics, acronyms, and diagrams to memorize them easily.
- Solve the NCERT exemplar problems and back exercises, as they cover the basic and fundamental questions. They will also help you prepare for the board exams, as most of the questions are based on the NCERT textbooks.
- Clear your doubts and queries from your teachers, tutors, or mentors. Do not hesitate to ask questions, as it will help you learn better and avoid confusion.
Tip 4: Practice Makes Perfect
The key to success in JEE Main is practice. You need to practice as many questions as you can, from different sources and levels of difficulty.
Practice will help you improve your problem-solving skills, conceptual clarity, and confidence. It will also help you identify your weak areas and work on them.
Here are some tips to practice effectively:
- Solve the previous year papers and mock tests of JEE Main, and try to simulate the exam environment. This will help you get familiar with the exam pattern, difficulty level, and types of questions. It will also help you assess your preparation level and performance.
- Solve the questions from different JEE Main preparation material, such as books, online platforms, coaching modules, etc. This will expose you to a variety of questions and topics, and enhance your knowledge and skills.
- Solve the questions from different subjects and topics in a mixed manner, rather than sticking to one subject or topic at a time. This will help you improve your mental agility and flexibility, and prepare you for the unpredictable nature of the exam.
- Solve the questions with proper time management and accuracy. Do not spend too much time on a single question, and do not guess the answers randomly. Use the elimination method and logical reasoning to arrive at the correct answer.
Tip 5: Seek Help If Needed
Preparing for two exams simultaneously can be a daunting and stressful task. You may face many challenges and difficulties along the way, and you may need some guidance and support.
Therefore, you should seek help from the experts and mentors, who can provide you with valuable tips and feedback.
Here are some ways to seek help if needed:
- Join a coaching institute or an online course, if you can afford it. A coaching institute or an online course can provide you with a structured and systematic study plan, quality study material, doubt clearing sessions, mock tests, and personalized guidance.
- Follow the toppers and experts, who have cracked both exams with flying colours. You can watch their videos, read their blogs, and follow their social media accounts. You can also interact with them and ask them for their advice and suggestions.
- Join a study group or a peer network, where you can discuss and share your doubts, queries, and ideas with other aspirants. A study group or a peer network can provide you with motivation, encouragement, and healthy competition.
Tip 6: Stay Positive and Confident
The last and most important tip for preparing for JEE Main 2024 January exam is to stay positive and confident. You should believe in yourself and your abilities, and do not let the fear and pressure of the exam affect your mental and emotional health.
You should also avoid any negative thoughts and distractions, and focus on your goals and dreams.
Here are some tips to stay positive and confident:
- Set realistic and achievable goals, and track your progress and achievements. Celebrate your small and big victories, and reward yourself for your hard work and efforts.
- Read inspirational and motivational quotes, stories, and books, that can uplift your mood and spirit. You can also listen to soothing and upbeat music, that can calm your nerves and energize you.
- Meditate and practice yoga, that can help you relax your mind and body, and reduce stress and anxiety. You can also do some breathing exercises, that can help you control your emotions and thoughts.
- Seek support from your family and friends, who can provide you with love, care, and comfort. You can also talk to a counsellor or a therapist, if you feel overwhelmed or depressed.
JEE Main 2024 January exam is a golden opportunity for you to achieve your dream of becoming an engineer. However, it is also a challenging and demanding exam, that requires a lot of hard work and dedication.
You need to balance your preparation for JEE Main and board exams, and follow a smart and effective strategy. You also need to maintain your physical and mental health, and stay positive and confident.
We hope that this article has provided you with some useful tips and tricks on how to prepare for JEE Main 2024 January exam in 3 weeks, while also managing your board exams. We wish you all the best for your exams, and hope that you will succeed with flying colours. Remember, you can do it! 💯