Established in 2016, IIM Jammu is mentored by IIM Lucknow and operates from a temporary campus at the Government College of Engineering and Technology, Old University Campus, Kanal Road, Jammu. The institute is in the process of developing its own permanent campus at Jagti, Nagrota Road, Jammu.
If you are looking for a prestigious management education in India, you might have heard of the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs). These are the premier institutions that offer world-class courses, faculty, infrastructure, and placement opportunities. Among the 20 IIMs in the country, IIM Jammu is one of the newest and most promising ones.
In this blog post, we will give you a complete guide to everything you need to know about IIM Jammu, including its admission process, academic programs, fees, scholarships, facilities, faculty, placements, and alumni network. Whether you are a prospective student, a current student, or an interested reader, we hope this post will answer all your queries and help you make an informed decision about your future.
IIM Jammu: Admission Process
The admission process for IIM Jammu is similar to other IIMs. The first step is to appear for the Common Admission Test (CAT), which is a national-level entrance exam that tests your aptitude, logical reasoning, and verbal ability. The CAT score is used to shortlist candidates for the next stage of the admission process.
The second step is to fill out an online application form on the IIM Jammu website and submit your academic records, work experience details, and other relevant information. Based on your CAT score and application form, you will be assigned a composite score that will determine your eligibility for the next stage.
The third step is to participate in the Written Ability Test (WAT) and Personal Interview (PI) round. The WAT is a 30-minute test where you have to write an essay on a given topic. The PI is a 15-20 minute interview where you have to answer questions related to your academic background, career goals, personality traits, and general awareness. The WAT and PI scores are used to calculate your final composite score that will decide your admission status.
The final step is to wait for the admission offer from IIM Jammu. The institute releases its merit list based on the final composite scores of the candidates. If you are selected, you will receive an offer letter with details of the fee payment and other formalities. You have to accept the offer within the stipulated time and confirm your seat at IIM Jammu.
IIM Jammu: Academic Programs
IIM Jammu offers two academic programs: the Post Graduate Program in Management (PGPM) and the Doctoral Program in Management (DPM). The PGPM is a two-year full-time residential program that aims to develop competent and ethical managers who can lead organizations in a dynamic and global environment. The DPM is a four-year full-time residential program that aims to produce scholars who can contribute to the advancement of management knowledge and practice through rigorous research.
The PGPM curriculum consists of six terms spread over two years. The first year covers the core courses that provide a foundation in various functional areas of management such as accounting, economics, finance, marketing, operations, organizational behavior, and strategy. The second year offers elective courses that allow students to specialize in their areas of interest such as analytics, entrepreneurship, finance, human resource management, marketing, operations management, public policy, and strategy. The PGPM also includes a summer internship program where students work on live projects with reputed organizations for eight weeks.
The DPM curriculum consists of two phases: coursework and thesis. The coursework phase covers four semesters where students take courses in research methods and advanced topics in their chosen area of specialization. The thesis phase involves conducting original research under the guidance of a faculty supervisor and writing a dissertation that contributes to the existing body of knowledge in management.
IIM Jammu: Fees and Scholarships
The fee structure for IIM Jammu is as follows:
- PGPM: Rs. 13.8 lakhs for two years (including tuition fee, hostel fee, mess fee, caution deposit, alumni fee, etc.)
- DPM: Rs. 5 lakhs for four years (including tuition fee, hostel fee, mess fee, caution deposit)
IIM Jammu also offers various scholarships and financial assistance schemes for deserving students. Some of them are:
- Merit-cum-Means Scholarship: This scholarship covers up to 100% of the tuition fee for students whose annual family income is less than Rs. 4 lakhs.
- Central Sector Scholarship Scheme: This scholarship covers up to 50% of the tuition fee for students belonging to Scheduled Castes (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST), Other Backward Classes (OBC), Economically Weaker Sections (EWS), Persons with Disabilities (PwD), and Minorities.
- National Fellowship for SC/ST Students: This fellowship covers the entire fee and provides a monthly stipend of Rs. 25,000 for DPM students belonging to SC/ST categories.
- IIM Jammu Alumni Scholarship: This scholarship is funded by the alumni of IIM Jammu and covers up to 50% of the tuition fee for one student from each batch of PGPM.
IIM Jammu: Facilities
IIM Jammu provides state-of-the-art facilities for its students, faculty, and staff. Some of the facilities are:
- Library: The library has a collection of over 10,000 books, journals, magazines, newspapers, e-resources, and audio-visual materials on various subjects related to management and allied disciplines. The library also has a digital repository that stores the research output of the institute.
- Computer Lab: The computer lab has over 100 computers with high-speed internet access and software applications for academic and research purposes. The lab also has a video conferencing facility that enables online interactions with other institutes and organizations.
- Hostel: The hostel has separate blocks for male and female students with single occupancy rooms. The rooms are furnished with beds, mattresses, cupboards, tables, chairs, and fans. The hostel also has common facilities such as mess, laundry, gym, recreation room, TV room, and sports equipment.
- Sports: The institute encourages physical fitness and sports activities among its students. The campus has facilities for indoor and outdoor games such as badminton, basketball, carrom, chess, cricket, football, table tennis, volleyball, etc.
- Medical: The institute has a medical center that provides basic health care services to the students, faculty, and staff. The medical center has a doctor, a nurse, and a pharmacist who are available round the clock. The institute also has tie-ups with nearby hospitals for emergency cases.
IIM Jammu: Faculty
IIM Jammu has a team of highly qualified and experienced faculty members who are experts in their respective fields of management. The faculty members are involved in teaching, research, consulting, training, and mentoring activities. They use innovative pedagogical methods such as case studies, simulations, projects, presentations, quizzes, etc. to enhance the learning outcomes of the students. They also publish their research work in reputed national and international journals and conferences.
IIM Jammu: Placements
IIM Jammu has a dedicated placement cell that facilitates the placement process for its students. The placement cell organizes various activities such as pre-placement talks, resume building workshops, mock interviews, industry visits, etc. to prepare the students for the corporate world. The placement cell also invites reputed organizations from various sectors such as banking, consulting, e-commerce, education, FMCG, IT/ITES, manufacturing, media, pharma, retail, telecom, etc. to recruit the students.
The placement statistics for the PGPM batch of 2019-21 are as follows:
- Number of students: 104
- Number of recruiters: 84
- Highest salary: Rs. 24 lakhs per annum
- Average salary: Rs. 11.2 lakhs per annum
- Median salary: Rs. 10 lakhs per annum
- Top recruiters: Amazon, Axis Bank, Byju’s, Deloitte, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Infosys BPM,
KPMG Global Services (KGS), L&T Infotech (LTI), Reliance Retail,
Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), Wipro Limited
The placement statistics for the DPM batch of 2017-21 are as follows:
- Number of students: 6
- Number of recruiters: 6
- Highest salary: Rs. 18 lakhs per annum
- Average salary: Rs. 14 lakhs per annum
- Median salary: Rs. 14 lakhs per annum
- Top recruiters: IIM Ahmedabad (Research Associate), IIM Bangalore (Assistant Professor),
IIM Jammu (Assistant Professor), IIM Kashipur (Assistant Professor),
IIM Raipur (Assistant Professor), IIT Bombay (Postdoctoral Fellow)
IIM Jammu: Alumni Network
IIM Jammu has a strong and growing alumni network that connects the past and present students of the institute. The alumni network organizes various events such as reunions, mentorship programs, webinars, guest lectures, alumni talks, etc. to foster a sense of belongingness and camaraderie among the alumni and the current students. The alumni network also supports the institute in its academic, research, placement,and outreach activities.
The alumni network is governed by an elected body called the Alumni Association that represents the interests and aspirations of the alumni community.
IIM Jammu is one of the emerging management institutes in India that offers quality education, research, and placement opportunities to its students.
The institute has a vision to become a global leader in management education and research by creating value for society through excellence in teaching, learning, innovation, and social responsibility.
If you are looking for a rewarding career you should definetly choose IIM Jammu.